Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sean Burke Retires

Sean Burke has finally decided to hang up the skates at the age of 40. He was a 3-time all-star, and put up some very good stats throughout his career. He was maybe one of the final traditional "Stand-up" style goaltenders left in the league. He had to play that style because of his size, if he wanted to avoid back issues. Burke was drafted by the Devils, then went on to play for the Whalers, Flyers, Hurricanes, Canucks, Panthers, Coyotes, Lightning and finally, the Kings. He also had some stints with Team Canada, including in 1986, when he backstopped Team Canada to a gold medal in the world junior championships.

I grew up right around the time Burke was in his prime, and
have fond memories of watching him play. Although I would never mimic his style whatsoever, I respected the presence he had on the ice. You could always tell that it was Sean Burke in net, just by seeing how the goalie stood. Although he played for my Devils, that was a little before my time. I had a hockey card of him on the Devils, and always thought he looked weird as a Devil, since I was so used to just seeing Marty Brodeur as the Devils goalie! I also thought his name was pronounced "Scene", but that's another story (I was reallllly young...). I wish Sean the best in his post-career endeavors, and I will always remember the impact he had on the game of hockey.

1 comments:

EvilBobSaget said...

I love Burkie. I used to have tons of posters and cards of him. I also had a postersized wood laminate of him in the red/green Jersey uniform.

I just wished he could have played one season for the Habs.

This is a goalie who could have won Stanley Cups if he just had a great team in front of him.

You also forgot to mention that he played for the San Diego Gulls in the IHL.