Friday, September 21, 2007

Kings Place Cloutier on Waivers

Goaltender Dan Cloutier has been placed on waivers by the Los Angeles Kings, leaving them with Jason Labarbera and JS Aubin as their two goalies. Kevin Lee on Hockeybuzz suggested that they may be after Martin Gerber in Ottawa, after his lights-out performance so far this pre-season. I personally do not think that's the direction LA is going, but I won't completely rule it out. I'm sure Bryan Murray wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a Gerber-to-LA deal, but I'm not sure if Gerber is that much of an upgrade over Labarbera. As you saw in my Los Angeles Kings pre-season goaltending situation, they have also invited young Jonathan Bernier to camp. He was a long-shot to make the team out of training camp this year, but with the subtraction of Cloutier it heavily increases his chances. I'll keep my eye on this situation, plus many others, and will continue to update you on all of the goalie happenings throughout training camp.

UPDATE: Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail suggested that Cloutier will "almost certainly start the season in the minors this season", the reason being that no team will be willing to pay for Cloutier's hefty contract. As far as the Bernier situation goes, he went on to say that the chance of him making the team became "increasingly more likely today".

0 comments: