Sunday, January 27, 2008

The All-Star Game is for the Kids

I've had just about enough of all the talk about "how we can improve the all-star game." Some "experts" have even suggested that we drop the all-star game completely. People always say how the all-star game "isn't what it used to be." The reason is blatantly obvious. All-Star games are for children, and corporate schmoozing. Unless you fit into one of those categories, the all-star game will not appeal to you.

The idea of getting rid of the all-star game is absolutely nuts in my opinion. Young children are now feeling that passion that you once had about an all-star game, and you want to take that away from them? A little selfish don't you think? The all-star game is all about showcasing the talent of the league for the kids! Who cares if the adults don't think it's "exciting" enough, don't watch it! I can remember getting all excited as a kid in preparation for the all-star game, and remember how in awe I was when Owen Nolan called his shot on Dominik Hasek. That, to me, was the greatest game ever. Now that I look back, I see it meant nothing in the grand scheme of things, but man was it ever great when I was younger. That's what I think people need to remember, the all-star game isn't for you, it's for the kids.

So if you are watching the game today with a young child, watch their face as game is on. I will guarantee to you that they will be as interested as they would be if they were watching game seven of the Stanley Cup playoffs. If you're not with a young child, I suggest you don't watch it. The hockey world doesn't need another person angry at the all-star game, there are enough of those working for TSN.

1 comments:

Magnum said...

Exactly. The players aren't out there giving it their all (until maybe the final minute). In between periods, they're signing jerseys and other things for kids. Plus, every time they score a goal, $5000 goes to the charity of their choice.